THE INDUSTRY ROOM
The Rock Quarry Case
This page by Jerry Wilkinson
.- The Cale Family -
At some time there were possibly three quarries
simultaneously on Windley Key. We might assume the Russell Quarry (operated
by John Rowe) was first slab quarry as it used drills to score the sides
to break away the slabs. To date the beginning of these quarries would
be conjecture. The second block type rock quarry on Windley Key was operated
by Charles Cale Sr. for the Keystone Rock Company.
The Russells owned the Russell Quarry and the
Cale children, Carl, Cecil and Charles Jr. are up front.
Above are the remains as seen in 1962 of the
Cale home. This is the second as the first was destroyed by the 1935 Hurricane.
The Cale family departed in 1942 and the status of the house after
that is unknown. The portion viewed is the rear after someone had added
on a storage area.
There were two mechanical "work horses" in
the quarry. The above stiff-legged derrick and the twin-chisel channeling
This is a distance perspective across the
Charles Cale Sr. is shown along side the
gasoline powered channeling machine.
Continued on Page 3
Go to Page 3, or
Return to the Industry Room